Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Favorite New Treat

Hey guys, so yesterday I fell off the wagon and had a hot dog, which I honestly don't feel too bad about(being extreme would just lead to a binge). Saying this I think I should say that I have always loved junk food so the first thing I've looked for when doing this is yummy snacks that I know are healthy. My favorite so far has been from "The Idiots Guide to Eating Raw" and is a chocolate almond shake. Its nutty, chocolaty, and is filling enough you can have it for dinner and be satisfied. Not only is it healthy I didn't get the sick feeling that inevitably comes after a milkshake, or the guilt! The recipe is as follows:
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 3 cups almond milk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 2 TB. raw cacao powder
  • 1 TB. almond butter
Throw all ingredients in a blender and enjoy!
For the almond milk the ratio is 1 cup soaked almonds:4 cups filtered water. We buy almond flour in bulk though and as that is just ground almonds I use that instead( as a side note this is a much cheaper option that provides you with two staples in the raw food diet). The agave nectar is a natural sweetner that you can find in whole foods, sun harvest,etc. What makes this shake is the raw cacao powder or cacao nibs. I'm in the process of finding an online wholesaler so I can buy it cheaper, but as of right now i'm getting cacao nibs from whole foods and blending with a coffee bean grinder. As soon as I find the best and most affordable(because this gets exspensive fast) i'll put some links up. Bye for now :)

1 comment:

  1. hmmm, i have like seven frozen bananas just waiting at home for a smoothie. i'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete